- An educator and communications professional with experience in private and public sector organizations.
- Research Assistant, Simon Fraser University; Burnaby, BC – 2016 – Present
- Teaching Assistant, Simon Fraser University; Burnaby, BC – 2011- Present
100 Level courses in the Departments of English; Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies; History; and Humanities
- Instructor, Global Village English Centres; Vancouver, BC – 2003-2007
Provided teaching services as requested whether as a substitute instructor or as a private tutor. Led a July 2005 TOEIC class of 14 international students.
- Tutor, Teachers’ Tutoring Service; Vancouver, BC – 1999-2001
Assisted students from Grade 4 through Grade 11 with English, Social Studies, and Math.
- Simon Fraser University; Burnaby, BC – Ph.D. Candidate, Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies, September 2016 start
- Simon Fraser University; Burnaby, BC – Master of Arts in Graduate Liberal Studies, 2015
- Vancouver Community College; Vancouver, BC – TESOL Diploma, 2001
- University of Toronto; Toronto, Ontario – Master of Business Administration, 1990
- University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC – Teaching Certificate, 1984
- University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC – Bachelor of Arts, 1983
Double Major: History and Classical Studies
- Graduate Dean Entrance Scholarship, Simon Fraser University – 2016
- Provost Prize of Distinction, Simon Fraser University – 2016
- Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University – 2016 (Ph.D. GSWS), 2012 (MA GLS)
- King Edward Campus Bookstore Award, Vancouver Community College – 2001
For achieving the highest overall grade average in the VCC TESOL Diploma Program.
- Trustee, West Vancouver Board of Education; West Vancouver, BC – 2011-2014
Elected in the 2011 Municipal Election.
- Writer/Researcher, Fireworks Marketing; Vancouver, BC – 2007-2008
Participated in developing concepts for Vancouver Olympic and Paralympic Live Sites.
- Interim Marketing & Development Manager, Vancouver International Writers Festival; Vancouver, BC – 2000-2001
Developed marketing materials and development packages.
- Food Columnist, North Shore Outlook; North Vancouver, BC – 2000-2001
Wrote weekly column on food including restaurant reviews, personal anecdotes and recipes.
- VP Sales & Marketing, Cascadia Homes Ltd; Vancouver, BC – 1992-1999
Coordinated sales and marketing for Lower Mainland residential communities. Supervised the production of all marketing materials. Hired, trained, and evaluated each member of the 15-member sales team.
At Rogers Cablesystems Limited in Toronto, gained experience coordinating applications, filings, and letters of intervention to the CRTC as well as writing and editing communications material for internal and external distribution. In addition to the production of marketing and promotional materials at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, also in Toronto, coordinated the organization’s participation in more than 20 trade exhibits and conferences annually. Other positions were held with Addison-Wesley Publishers Ltd. (Toronto), City Studio Inc. (Vancouver), and Expo 86 (Vancouver).
- Member, Board of Directors, Vancouver Opera – 2015 (appointed for a three year term)
- Member, Committee for the Nora and Ted Sterling Prize in Support of Controversy – 2013
- Facilitator, École Cedardale Creative Writing Club – 2011-2013
- Executive Member, WV District Parents’ Advisory Council – 2006-2011
- Executive Member, École Cedardale Parent Advisory Council – 2006-2010
- Member, Cultural Facilities Working Group, District of West Vancouver – 2008-2009
- Coordinator, Achieving Your Publishing Dreams Workshop, RWAGVC – 2005
- Member, Board of Directors and Conference Volunteer, Association of BC TEAL – 2002-2004
- Member, Bacchanalia Gala Committee, Vancouver International Wine Fest – 2003 & 2004
- Volunteer, Vancouver International Wine Festival – 1999 & 2000
- Volunteer, Vancouver International Writers Festival – 1999
- SFU 15th Annual Symposium on Teaching and Learning – 2016
- Instructional Skills Workshop – 2012
- Graduate Liberal Studies Symposium – 2016, 2011
- Mapping Your Path Workshop – 2009
- Romance Writers of America National Conference – 2006
- Part-time Broadcasting Courses, British Columbia Institute of Technology – 2004
- Writing and Publishing Program, Simon Fraser University – 1998-1999 (Magazine Writing, Travel Writing, Writing Stories for Children)
- National Assoc. of Home Builders Annual Convention, USA – 1993,1994, & 1998
- Travel, politics, education, the performing arts (theatre, movies, music, opera, and dance), food, reading, and writing.